Subscribe

RSS Feed (xml)

Powered By

Skin Design:
Free Blogger Skins

Powered by Blogger

Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Delhi ..... Its my city . !


Yes .. its true New Delhi ... its my city !
I have grown up in this city .. i have recieved all lessons of my life in this city... This city has taught me to co-exist with my neighbours , with nature , with birds , and not to forget the COWS that roam around the streets .. claiming their own ..
It is this city that has taught me to appreciate music , food , arts , the smell of mud as it begins to Rain ..
whenever i go back to New Delhi .. i still see the ruins of century old buildings around me .. !i learn that even the great kings and empires crumble to dust and die never mind you and me . !i thrive in the rich colors and traditions of this city ..
this city teaches me co-existense...it teaches me that there is enough space under the sky for us to live and let live .. !
it teaches me not to get possessive, it lets me go when i am too restless and i promptly come back to it all excited to tell her my experiences about places far and beyond .. !she then sits me down and tells me how centuries back someone had come to her from that far away land and tells me stories of the great battles fought , stories of valor and courage , stories of deciet ..
Just when i thought that i knew all that was to be known about Delhi she opens another chapter of herself to me ..it is almost as if i was in class 2 .... i had thought i had mastered maths by learning how to add and subtract...
Delhi has taught me to keep myself warm in winters and forces me to keep warm in summers inspite of my best efforts.In those hot summer months when i cant sleep because of the heat and i stand in my terrace.. ! and say i give up .. !
Delhi replies with monsoon she deluges me with the torrent of monsoon ...
Can you belive it even the dogs look clean and cared for .. !
Sometimes i feel being here in Dubai and visitin New delhi once or twice a year .. ! that there are a lot of changes that have taken place over few years.... sometimez it feels like a whirlwind and makes my headspin ... It makes me happy to see people getting richer than their own Parents.. but what disturbs me is the enclosed mentality and self serving attitude ....
I see all these malls comeing up and sometimes when i am in one of these malls I have to remind myself that i am in Delhi .. ! not in Dubai Bangkok or the US ...
For me what defines a market are indivudual shops which have character and not the big labels ( Khan Market , Sarojni Nagar , Janpath ) and those faceless shops which could be the same anywhere else in the world under a different name . I feel my city is being colonised by a big retailer while i appreciate the quality and service the big retailer provides. I also feel with the present scenario we could work more with small shops...
Personally for me what sets delhi apart from any other city is the WALLED CITY aka CHANDNI CHOWK . Everytime i go there i loose myself in the myriad of lanes and bylanes, the eating joints .. the breathetakein view of the Red Fort and the Jama masjid which infact is one of the oldest mosques in India. Even though i cant get myself liveinn there ... but i do like to go there whenever its possible for me ...
Even the dialect is soo different in that area ... from the one that is spoken in the malls which is kinda a mix of half hindi .. half english ... half Punjabi .. !
in the last 19 years .. i have noticed many people come to delhi and live their lives and still dont identify themselves as dilliwallas aka Delhiites ... they dont identify themseleves as a citizen of Delhi .. i belive they are still refuges or people in transit ... it reminds me of the dubai airport transit lounge ... one side is the arrivals shedule where everyone seems to hang on while the departure shedule is still a little Fuzzy .. ! Cant call yourself citizens of an airport can you ???

We critize Delhi at the top of the hat ! .. the ""sab chalta hain"" attitude is prevailent in everyone in Delhi .. ! NO electrity , NO water WE the people are ready to fuck Dilli JaL board Upside down for this .. ! WE crib about the mosquites .. wheras we ourselves dont shy away from throwing our garbage in the nearest sewer !! ... ( if not the roads ) ..jumping RED LIGHTS ( its like in fashion .. after SALMAN KHAN did it ) what to talk about ? .. ! stealing electricity etc etc...

WE are the electricity , water and the mosquito killers of this city, It is the people who make the city and destroy it ....Delhi will see us off .. as she has seen off other periods in its history ... the point is how will we be remembered ? . ! will it make us any different from Timur the lame and Chengiz khan ! .. did someone say we have their blood in us .. ! Well it is certainly showing !!! .

No comments: